The natural port was fortified in 1550 by the Dukes of Savoy.
In 1713 onwards they carried the title King of Sardinia and the Darse thus became a "Royal Port". Beginning in 1730, the great works were started: the lighthouse, the dry-dock basin, the arsenal and the forge. Then, as early as 1770, were added the prison, rope factory and officers' barracks.
Today, it is a marina that has managed to preserve the legacy of its history. Since February 1990, the Royal Port of "Darse" has been listed in the Historic Monuments Inventory.